Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Journey: State Government & Politics

I began my adult journey into working and being completely immersed into State Government and politics back in 2006 (2005 ?).
A desire to switch careers (right at that moment where I was charging upwards full force...) and wanting something more, something different...in my mid 30s I made a tough, but wise decision to switch careers.
After almost a year of not working, volunteering for 9months, collecting unemployment and working temp jobs, my resume ended up in the office of Governor Janet Napolitano...after doing the happy dance upon learning this, I interviewed, was hired and after 6 months I realized this is what I want to do for a career!
At the time of this realization what I did not know was that what I had discovered, what I loved, what energized me was not just working in public service but politics!
What helped? Governor Napolitano was beginning her 2nd campaign for a run for Governor once again - I became involved (outside of work, of course!) with campaign as many of us did.
Through this I ended up GOTV (Get Out The Vote) week end at Harry Mitchell's Campaign Headquarters. This was his first run for the congressional seat (Congressional District 5) at the time held by J.D. Hayworth.
I absolutely loved my GOTV week end, during that week I developed a respect for the seasoned volunteers and staffers. I met groups of amazing young adults, many who traveled from different states to help democrats where needed.
I also made lasting friendships and met amazing people, many of whose careers I have seen grown in politics and government...my self included.
That I leave for another entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment