Thursday, June 18, 2009

Going forward

From 2005/2006 forward I didn't miss a beat in Legislative District 17 and did my best to stay involved with the Arizona Democratic Party Headquarters.

How?Attending Legislative District monthly meetings, attending fundraisers for our Representatives: Ed Ableser, David Schapira, Meg Burton-Cahill, Harry Mitchell.
Another thing I did was learn as much as I could.

How?Meetings, political and community events, canvassing neighborhoods speaking to fellow Tempians (someone from Tempe, AZ), calling folks on behalf of one of our local Representatives.
I encourage everyone to try this - at least once. Don't let the fact that you may not know anyone stop you.

In the beginning I didn't know anyone .(really - most of my new found friends from campaign GOTV weekend 2006 had either left for D.C. or back to their former campaign selves.)
The 1st political fundraiser that I went to alone I did not know anyone there - and after about 5 minutes I ran into a former professor of mine from Mesa Community College...
This night I met many folks and later I didn't have any problem going anywhere alone, to a place where I would not know anyone.
Just going around introducing yourself to folks becomes easier and easier.

"Politics" not your thing? How about Causes, Non-for-Profits, Unions, Teacher-Ed Coalitions, Animal Shelters?
All of the aforementioned need the same type of volunteer base as any political party.
They to hold rallies, fundraisers, ask for donations, canvass neighborhoods, call folks, and work with the media to get their message out.
They too are always in need of volunteers.

Bored, frustrated, angry? I challenge you to get involved with one of those issues which frustrates you most - what makes you throw things at T.V.? Fume in front of your laptop?
I promise you, it will be one of the best experiences ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment